Written and published on 17 June 2016, revised
This is the first step in the Enlightenment series … see also “Enlightenment II” … Link: “Enlightenment II: Raising the Kundalini to Heal the Human EMF and Alleviate Ascension Symptoms,” by Alice B. Clagett, written in April 2014, published on 15 June 2016 … https://wp.me/p2Rkym-5yX ..
- FIGHT-OR-FLIGHT VERSUS FREEZE-AND-DISSOCIATE RESPONSE TO SOLAR EVENTS
- RIGHT NOW, THE LIGHT OF SUMMER SOLSTICE IS AMPING UP OUR FIGHT-OR- FLIGHT OR FREEZE-AND-DISSOCIATE RESPONSE
- THE CENTRAL CHANNEL OF THE SPINE: SUSHUMNA, IDA AND PINGALA
- About the Sushumna
- Qualities of the Ida
- Qualities of the Pingala
- THE UNCONSCIOUS MIND, THE AUTONOMIC NERVOUS SYSTEM, THE IDA, AND THE PINGALA
- HOW TO INHIBIT THE FIGHT-OR-FLIGHT AND FREEZE-AND-DISSOCIATE RESPONSE THROUGH YOGIC BREATHING
- Left-Nostril Breathing Inhibits the Fight or Flight Response
- Long, Deep Breathing Also Inhibits the Fight or Flight Response
- Right-Nostril Breathing Inhibits the Freeze-and-Dissociate Response
- HOW TO ACHIEVE UNITY OF MIND OR ‘ONE MIND’
- The Somatic Nervous System
- Alternate Nostril Breathing Links the Autonomic Nervous System to the Somatic Nervous System, and the Lower Mental Body to the Higher Mental Body
- Even Nostril Breathing Unites the Brain Hemispheres
I have blogged some on the fight-or-light response we humans are experiencing as a result of the DNA changes occurring during solar events … essentially due to the ramping up of the Incoming Light because of our Solar System’s entry into the Photon Belt (greater Light) of the Pleiades in 2012.
The body cells are very, very conservative. Any little prospect of change throws them into a tizzy. Being flooded with ramped up photonic Light during a Solar Event is one such stimulus, and one humankind is beginning to be aware of due to the fact that everyone is, slowly but surely, becoming clair EMF-sensitive.
FIGHT-OR-FLIGHT VERSUS FREEZE-AND-DISSOCIATE RESPONSE TO SOLAR EVENTS
In the past, I have put forth that solar events cause fight (‘acting out’) or flight (generalized anxiety or panic attack, since the threat is not physical). Just now I read, and immediately saw the truth of, the notion that there are three possible responses to a perceived threat … these are fight-or-flight, and freeze-and-dissociate …
Link: “Trauma and the Freeze Response: Good, Bad, or Both? Have You Ever Been So Dissociated from Fear that You Simply Dissociated from It All?” by Leon F. Seltzer, Ph.D., 8 July 2015 … https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/evolution-the-self/201507/trauma-and-the-freeze-response-good-bad-or-both ..
When I read about this, I was immediately taken back to my youth, out in the countryside, where I saw our family German Shepherd enthusiastically digging up a rabbit burrow, and uncovering a little rabbit inside the burrow. Clearly the rabbit was frozen with fear … It ‘shrank into itself’ … With great concern, I picked it up. It was as if paralyzed, unseeing, unfeeling, completely unresponsive.
Looking back to those days, when I found a little animal ‘frozen in fear’ back then, in the countryside …
- Sometimes they would come to their senses, and run away (the ‘flight’ response)
- Sometimes they would come back to Awareness and bite me (the ‘fight’ response).
- And sometimes they would simply die in my hand. I guess their hearts just stopped beating out of fear.
RIGHT NOW, THE LIGHT OF SUMMER SOLSTICE IS AMPING UP OUR FIGHT-OR-FLIGHT OR FREEZE-AND-DISSOCIATE RESPONSE
As the Light of Summer Solstice floods into the planet, often without our conscious Awareness, our bodies will go into fight-or-flight or freeze-and-dissociate mode.
One of our subtle bodies is the body of Light. Saturation of this subtle body with the Incoming Light is all for the good, as the amped up light instructs our DNA on how to unfold from the 2-strand shut-down mode that keeps our physical bodies functional during the Great Ages of Darkness (10,500 very long years) to the 12-strand potential we all enjoy during the 2,000-year (all too short) Ages of Light …
Link: “The Photon Belt: The Coming of a New Age,” from Burlington News … http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/universo/esp_cinturon_fotones_6.htm ..
One such Great Age of Darkness ended in December 2012, and so now our DNA is unfurling once again. However, the kicking in of the fight-or-flight or freeze-and-dissociate responses, which are based on animal survival mechanisms, is causing some uncomfortable effects during the clearing and DNA amp-up process. For example …
- noospheric dissonance, clair chatter, welling up of astral stories in the collective unconscious, including collectively experienced violent daydreams and night dreams
- physical, mental and emotional ‘Ascension symptoms’; and
- ‘acting out’ of astral plays and collectively unconsciously produced vivid waking dreams
So, it would be good to avoid the fight-or-flight or freeze-and-dissociate responses. If you become aware that you are responding aggressively to everyday situations, or overly anxious, or just feel like withdrawing and hiding from it all, there are very simple remedies, which have to do with the breath and the ancient science of yoga (the yoking of our energy fields with the Universe and with God) …
THE CENTRAL CHANNEL OF THE SPINE: SUSHUMNA, IDA AND PINGALA
As mentioned in a prior blog, the central channel of the spine consists of three energies …
- the sushumna, or central channel;
- the ida, which is the channel that originates at the left side of the base of the spine, and courses through the left nostril, meeting the pingala at the ajna or 6th chakra old-style; and
- the pingala, which is the channel that originates at the right side of the base of the spine, and courses through the right nostril, meeting the ida at the ajna.
The ajna, or third-eye point, is associated with the pituitary gland in the center of the head at the level of the eyebrows …
Image: “Crown, Brow, Throat Chakras, Rajasthan 18th Century,” from Rajasthan, in Wikimedia Commons … https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Crown_Brow_Throat_Chakras,_Rajasthan_18th_Century.jpg … public domain … COMMENT: The Ajna Chakra (or third-eye point, which is related to the pituitary gland in the physical body) is depicted as a large eye with the image of a god-like being in it, and located in the forehead.
The pituitary gland is connected with the pineal gland, located slightly higher and a little more toward the back of the head, via a ‘golden cord’ of energy. For more on this, search cord at …
Link: “Awakening the Soul,” by Yogi Bhajan (Siri Singh Sahib Bhai Sahib Harbhajan Singh Khalsa Yogi Ji) … http://fateh.sikhnet.com/sikhnet/articles.nsf/9dee2aa6164e1d9b87256671004e06c7/e4ae53a709997198872576fd007d1747!OpenDocument ..
About the Sushumna
The sushumna is the central channel through which the kundalini energy is able to arise after the energies of the ida and the pingala are evenly balanced. The kundalini energy is awakened through mastery of the yogic ‘locks’ … such as ‘root lock’ …
Link: “Lesson 8 – Activating the Locks (Bhandas): An Introductory Course, Designed and Written by Guru Rattana, Ph.D.: Activating the Kundalini” … https://www.kundaliniyoga.org/lesson_8 … Search the term: Rootlock or Mulbhand
Then, when the kundalini energy rises to and pierces through the Crown Chakra (the 7th chakra, old-style), we have our first taste of the mystical state known as Enlightenment. This, however, is a topic for another day, as we are now dealing with mastery of the Ida and the pingala. The energies of the ida and pingala are very different …
Qualities of the Ida
The energy of the ida is associated with …
- the moon, the feminine side of our personalities
- the color white
- comfort, coolness, and nurturing
- control of mental processes
- right (opposite) side of brain … intuitive thought
- sympathetic nervous system
Qualities of the Pingala
The energy of the Pingala, which is stimulated by right-nostril breathing, is associated with …
- the sun, the masculine side of our personalities
- the color red
- tawniness, warmth, stimulation
- control of vital somatic processes
- left (opposite) side of brain … logical thought
- parasympathetic nervous system
Link: “Arkansas Kundalini Yoga” … http://www.arkundalini.com/home/more-kundalini-yoga-information/breathe ..
Link: “Discover the Ida and Pingala Nadis,” by James Bailey, 28 August 2007, updated … http://www.yogajournal.com/article/philosophy/balancing-act-2/ ..
THE UNCONSCIOUS MIND, THE AUTONOMIC NERVOUS SYSTEM, THE IDA, AND THE PINGALA
Here is an image of the sympathetic and the parasympathetic nervous systems, which are the two parts of the autonomic nervous system (ANS) …
Image: “Diagram of efferent sympathetic (red) and parasympathetic (blue) nervous system, by Henry Vandyke Carter (1831-1897). Plate 839, before 1858, from “Anatomy of the Human Body,” by Henry Gray, revised by Warren H. Lewis, 1918 … in Wikimedia Commons … https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Gray839.png … public domain … DESCRIPTION: Schematic view of the human autonomic system, showing the sensor and motor subsystems and their connection to the brain.
- The Unconscious Mind, also known as the Lower Mental Body, is associated with the Autonomic Nervous system (the ANS). Link: “Autonomic Nervous System,” in Wikipedia … https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonomic_nervous_system#Sympathetic_division ..
- The ANS consists of the Sympathetic Nervous System and the Parasympathetic Nervous System.
- The action of the Sympathetic and Parasympathetic nervous systems is ‘opposite’ or ‘antagonistic’. That is, they have opposing effects.
- The Sympathetic Nervous System … ‘fight-or-flight’ functions of the unconscious mind … is associated with the Ida.
- The Parasympathetic Nervous System … ‘freeze-and-dissociate’, ‘rest and digest’ and ‘feed and breed’ functions of the unconscious mind … is associated with the pingala.
- Our human breath naturally alternates between the left and right nostril during the day. Some report the interval for each energy as 20 minutes, and others, as much as 2 1/2 hours. This switching of the breath from left-nostril breathing to right-nostril breathing has been posited to account for unconscious alternating of sleeping position from lying on the left side to lying on the right side at night.
- The ida is associated with breathing through the left nostril; the pingala is associated with breathing through the right nostril.
HOW TO INHIBIT THE FIGHT-OR-FLIGHT AND FREEZE-AND-DISSOCIATE RESPONSE THROUGH YOGIC BREATHING
Putting it all together, we can consciously change the operation of the Autonomic Nervous System … and the unconscious mind … by practicing left-nostril or right-nostril breathing.
Left-Nostril Breathing inhibits the Fight or Flight Response
Left-nostril breathing has a calming, relaxing effect. It is easily practiced, even by a novice to the science of yoga …
While first learning left-nostril breathing, use the thumb of the right hand to close off the right nostril. Mouth is also closed. This forces the breath through the left nostril. The other fingers of the right hand are pointed up, like antennae.
Image Markup: “Left Nostril Breathing,” by Alice B. Clagett, 17 June 2016, CC BY-SA 4.0, from “Awakening with Planet Earth,” https://awakeningwithplanetearth.com …
DESCRIPTION: Frontal self-portrait, head and shoulders. Thumb of right hand is blocking right nostril. Fingers of right hand are together, and extended upward. On left side of the image are the words: “Right Side of Body and Right Hand.” On the right side of the image are the words “Left Side of Body.”
In time, it will be possible to switch to left-nostril breathing by simply placing the awareness on the left nostril, and feeling the breath there … the hand pose will no longer be needed.
Long, Deep Breathing Also Inhibits the Fight-or-Flight Response
As an alternative, the fight-or-flight response can be suppressed through the yogic technique known as Long Deep Breathing. For details, see (5).
Right-Nostril Breathing inhibits the Freeze-and-Dissociate Response
It has an energizing effect. It is practiced like this:
While first learning right-nostril breathing, use the thumb of the left hand to close off the left nostril. Mouth is also closed. This forces the breath through the right nostril. The other fingers of the left hand are pointed up, like antennae.
Image Markup: “Right Nostril Breathing,” by Alice B. Clagett, 17 June 2016, CC BY-SA 4.0, from “Awakening with Planet Earth,” https://awakeningwithplanetearth.com …
DESCRIPTION: Frontal self-portrait, head and shoulders. Thumb of left hand is blocking left nostril. Fingers of left hand are together, and extended upward. On left side of the image are the words: “Right Side of Body.” On the right side of the image are the words “Left Side of Body and Left Hand.”
In time, it will be possible to switch to right-nostril breathing by simply placing the Awareness on the right nostril, and feeling the breath there … the hand pose will no longer be needed.
HOW TO ACHIEVE UNITY OF MIND OR ‘ONE MIND’
Somatic Nervous System
As human beings, we have another nervous system that is under voluntary control, and which allows us to consciously control our body movements. This is the Somatic Nervous System …
Link: “Somatic Nervous System,” in Wikipedia … https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somatic_nervous_system ..
Just as the Autonomic Nervous System is associated with what is known in the School of Theosophy as the Lower Mental Body, the Somatic Nervous System is associated with the Higher Mental Body.
As mentioned above, the Autonomic Nervous System has two aspects, the Sympathetic and Parasympathetic Nervous Systems, which are associated with the ida and pingala, respectively; and these are associated with the right and left hemispheres of the brain, respectively,
Alternate Nostril Breathing Links the Autonomic Nervous System to the Somatic Nervous System, and the Lower Mental Body to the Higher Mental Body
Alternate Nostril Breathing, as described here …
Link: “Arkansas Kundalini Yoga” … http://www.arkundalini.com/home/more-kundalini-yoga-information/breathe ..
… is a yogic technique that brings the ida and the pingala under conscious control. In other words, the Autonomic Nervous System is linked or hooked to the Somatic Nervous System. Thus it brings the Lower Mental Body, as described by the School of Theosophy, into the Awareness arena of the Higher Mental Body; and these two subtle bodies achieve Unity.
Here are the steps in Alternate Nostril Breathing …
- First, use the right hand to block off the right nostril. The fingers of the right hand are held up, like antennae. (See the image ‘Alternate Nostril Breathing: Step 1″ below.) Inhale long and deep through the left nostril.
Image Markup: “Alternate Nostril Breathing: Step 1,” by Alice B. Clagett, 17 June 2016, CC BY-SA 4.0, from “Awakening with Planet Earth,” https://awakeningwithplanetearth.com …
DESCRIPTION: Frontal self-portrait, head and shoulders. Thumb of right hand is blocking right nostril. Fingers of right hand are together, and extended upward. On left side of the image are the words: “Right Side of Body and Right Hand. Right Nostril Is Blocked.” On the right side of the image are the words “Left Side of Body.”
2. Next, release the block on the right nostril, Use the ring finger or index finger of the right hand to block the left nostril. (See the image ‘Alternate Nostril Breathing: Step 2″ below.) Exhale long and deep through the right nostril.
Image Markup: “Alternate Nostril Breathing: Step 2,” by Alice B. Clagett, 17 June 2016, CC BY-SA 4.0, from “Awakening with Planet Earth,” https://awakeningwithplanetearth.com …
DESCRIPTION: Frontal self-portrait, head and shoulders. Ring finger of right hand is blocking left nostril. Fingers of right hand are as together as possible, and extended upward at a 45-degree angle. On left side of the image are the words: “Right Side of Body and Right Hand.” On the right side of the image are the words “Left Side of Body. Left Nostril is Blocked.”
3. Keeping the same finger and hand position, inhale long and deep through the right nostril.
4. Then switch back to the finger position shown in step 1, and exhale long and deep through the left nostril.
Begin again at Step 1, and continue with this alternate nostril breath for 3 to 11 minutes, but stop at any time if you begin to feel uncomfortable.
There is a good description of Alternate Nostril Breathing for Balance here …
Link: “Alternate Nostril Breathing (for Balancing),” in GRD Healing Arts Clinic … http://www.grdhealth.com/yogameditation/alternatenostril.php ..
Note that the hand position used to block off the left nostril during alternate nostril breathing is different from that described above for right-nostril breathing (above in this blog). This is because the finger position in the alternate breathing technique is modified to be accomplished using just the right hand.
See: Link: “Yogic Breathing,” in Kundalini Women … http://kundaliniwomen.org/yoga_pages/yogic_breathing.html ..
Even Nostril Breathing Unites the Brain Hemispheres
Even Nostril Breathing is a state where the breath flows evenly through both nostrils, uniting the ida and pingala, and the right and left hemispheres of the brain. The result is Cosmic or Universal Mind.
All the yogic breathing techniques or ‘pranayama’ …
Link: “Breathing Practices and Pranayama in Yoga,” by Swami Jnaneshvara Bharati … https://swamij.com/breath.htm#balancing … Search the term: Balancing Breathing
… as they were called in Ancient India, help establish this evenness of breath, as does the practice of yoga poses, mudras and mantras. Here are three techniques that are very good aids in establishing evenness of breath. The first two are suggested by Swami Jnaneshvara Bharati …
Link: “Kundalini Awakening 2,” by Swami Jnaneshvara Bharati … https://swamij.com/kundalini-awakening-2.htm … Image 2. Prana is made to flow in Ida and Pingala
- Alternate Nostril Breathing (described above). This is a good practice just before arising in the morning, during meditations, and just before falling asleep, I feel.
- Soham Mantra: Imagine the sound Sooooooo when inhaling, and the sound Hummmmmm when exhaling. This mantra can be practiced all day long.
- Judy Satori has activations of Light that aid this process of attaining Cosmic or Universal Mind … Link: “Judy Satori” … https://www.ascensionlibrary.org/ … Search the term: Alpha Centauri / mind power expansion
By practicing these breathing techniques, one can unite the unconscious mind with the conscious mind, and also unite the hemispheres of the brain. The result is a state of mental Unity that lays the foundation for the mystical experience known as Enlightenment.
In love, light and joy,
I Am of the Stars
Except where otherwise noted, this work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
fight or flight, freeze and dissociate, ida, pingala, autonomic nervous system, unconscious mind, parasympathetic nervous system, sympathetic nervous system, enlightenment, chakras, left-nostril breathing, ANS, right-nostril breathing, alternate nostril breathing, long deep breathing, Soham Mantra, Cosmic mind, Universal Mind, photon belt, Summer Solstice 2016, whole brain thinking, subtle bodies, Lower Mental Body, Higher Mental Body, left brain, right brain, mastering the mind, unconscious mind, ida, pingala, anxiety, acting out, fear, aggression, collective unconscious, Unconscious Thought Cloud of the World, yoga, Incoming Light, unity, Alpha Centauri, EMF sensitivity, summer solstice, almanac, body of light, drawings by Alice, School of Theosophy,